A Wasted Life?

| Feb 13, 2012
The sad news of Whitney Houston's death has travelled around the world and in some ways is very shocking to hear, but in another, who's really surprised after the years of drugs and partying.

We were reflecting on her life and music last night while we watched a countdown of her biggest hits on TV. My hubby said "What a waste of life", but then said, "Well, not all of it". That made me pause and think. Whitney Houston started out with such promise, such talent and such a future and then because a lack of self-discipline, a lack of boundaries with regards to her personal life and making the wrong choices with the people in her life, all of that became corroded and ultimately destroyed her. Whitney definitely delivered. She left a legacy of beautiful music, at least one decent movie and of course, her daughter. Her life was not a complete waste, but imagine what it could have been.

At this time in my life (I'm only 6 years younger than Whitney), I have to ask myself the same questions. Did I start out with such promise and now have allowed a lack of self-discipline and boundaries corrode that? I know I have made good choices with the people in my life. My husband is the perfect man for me. I haven't completely let go of all self-discipline (I do get out of bed each day :))....BUT.....imagine if I really got some lingering areas under more control and worked harder on things that God is bringing to my attention. What a great opportunity to be able to make sure that when I go to be with the Lord that people won't say "What a waste of a life and talent". I want my legacy to more than a few "songs" and a decent "movie". I want to know that my life has been involved in seeing others' lives transformed as they come to know Jesus, grown in their relationship with God and others and leave their own legacy behind.

Pretty inspiring thoughts!! So now...to put it all into practice. :)
edit

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I watched a video of her in concert in Brazil on YouTube where, just before she sang 'Jesus Loves Me', she declared her love for Jesus. I can't but echo your thoughts, Christy ... to love Jesus and yet to have engaged in various vices ... it really is quite a waste. Then again, I guess this is truly why we need Jesus, to save us from ourselves. I sure hope she's saved ... her voice was God's gift to her, and to us ... in as much as we've been gifted by God to bless others. Hear, hear ... may we not also be guilty of wasting the gift of life given by the Giver of Life. - Deb

Suzie said...

Christy, I had missed this in your blog for some reason. What great insight you have expressed here. You shared my thoughts perfectly and you definitely have made the wiser choices on how to spend your life. I know that these years for you are going to be even more amazing as God uses you and all the things you have learned and are learning. I love how open and vulnerable you are on your blog. This is why you are loved so much by so many--especially me.

Newer Post Older Post

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Prosper, Texas, United States
I've been married for 32 years to the love of my life and we have two awesome adult kids and a fantastic son-in-law. Big new adventure moving to Texas from New Zealand in February 2021

Followers

© Design 1/2 a px. · 2015 · Pattern Template by Simzu · © Content Living Life with The Staveleys