Happy Mother's Day....and more

| May 8, 2011
I do love Mother's Day...I loved it as a kid celebrating my mom and now I love it as a mom with two wonderful kids and a hubby who always makes it a special day, but my thinking about Mother's Day has been challenged a bit the last few years as I have journeyed with a friend through infertility.

I have learned how this day can be hurtful and hard for those who long to be mothers, but for some reason that isn't happening for them. The church services are only reminders of what isn't happening or of the pregnancy loss they've experienced. The envy they experience as the moms receive flowers, or asked to stand up and are celebrated. The sermons about how being a mom is the highest calling that God gives a woman.The questions that face them "I lost my baby early, am I a mom?" Not that these things shouldn't be done, but they can all add up to be a hard day. Things I didn't think about before, but now I do. Now, I am much more aware and protective of my friend and her heart as she approaches this day each year.

And I've struggled with my own feelings..sometimes I felt guilty for being a mom, for not appreciating my kids enough, for wanting to celebrate Mother's Day and for wanting to be celebrated as a mom. My friend's never made me feel guilty, but of course, I feel that way anyway as I want to be the best friend I can be. The co-journer's burden can be a heavy one as we want to comfort and care for our suffering friend, but the reality is that there is little comfort we can truly offer other than just being there. It's just hard all around.

Mother's Day is special and moms should be celebrated, but in the midst of celebrating your mom, or being celebrated...don't forget those who long to be moms or have had to conclude that God's plan is different for their lives, occasionally by choice, but usually by default as they struggle with the inability to have children. Yes, God loves mothers and being a mom is a wonderful gift and calling, but we need to be careful that we don't sideline those women who feel a bit less because they have not been able to have a baby.

Thanks, S for all you have taught me through your journey, through your grace and through your friendship!!

Oh...here's a blog ( Can I Walk With You) that might be helpful. The story of one woman's journey through infertility and life...the good, the bad and the just plain hard. I know it helped me a lot!
edit

1 comment:

Suzie said...

So lovely and caring. You have a wonderful, sensitive heart. How proud I am to have you as my dear daughter. All my love, Mom

Newer Post Older Post

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Prosper, Texas, United States
I've been married for 32 years to the love of my life and we have two awesome adult kids and a fantastic son-in-law. Big new adventure moving to Texas from New Zealand in February 2021

Followers

© Design 1/2 a px. · 2015 · Pattern Template by Simzu · © Content Living Life with The Staveleys