Oscar, Oscar!!

| Feb 28, 2012
I love the Academy Awards....the glitz, the glamour, the fashion, the emotional acceptance speeches and well, just everything!! Highlight of my year.

Last night, I had a small party to watch the Oscars. It was the first time I had done that and it was fun. We had prizes and were able to chat about movies. I marvel on how movies are a common thread that brings people from diverse backgrounds together. They are our stories, our legends, our oral histories.

It's so fun how I think about my life in the context of movies.....Footloose, Top Gun, The Princess Bride & The Karate Kid are symbols of my teens and youth. Steel Magnolias, Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, Out of Africa always remind me of the years Bryce and I were dating. Big, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, Speed and Maverick are the hallmarks of my early married life and early parenthood as well as the 90's (Big was in the 80's but it's my blog. :)). Hairspray, Mamma Mia, High School Musical, any Disney movie, The Proposal, The Lord of the Rings are the route markers of my life in the 2000's.

And yet.....while those movies are significant in my life, bringing back memories of moments with my precious husband and family, I really want most of all for the signposts of my life to be a bit more significant. A kind word said here, someone's life I have been privileged to see change as a result of their relationship with God, introducing someone to Jesus Christ, that conversation that was hard, yet produced personal and spiritual growth.

My life will never be glamorous. I will never wear high fashion or high heels. I will never have Ryan Seacrest interview me on a red carpet...BUT...one day I will stand before the ultimate award-giver and give an account of my life, well-spent or not. I think that's the only "red carpet" that will count in the end and in truth, the only one I should be thinking of. But in the meantime....Oscar, Oscar and well done to Meryl Streep (Best Actress) and Bret McKenzie (Best Song and a Kiwi).
edit

1 comment:

Suzie said...

Once again a very special blog. You just somehow put things in a perfect way. Keep it up!

Newer Post Older Post

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Prosper, Texas, United States
I've been married for 32 years to the love of my life and we have two awesome adult kids and a fantastic son-in-law. Big new adventure moving to Texas from New Zealand in February 2021

Followers

© Design 1/2 a px. · 2015 · Pattern Template by Simzu · © Content Living Life with The Staveleys