Lifelong dream fulfilled TODAY!

| Jul 23, 2008
When I was 6 years old, I was given the Little House on the Prairie books. From that moment on I was hooked. The stories of Laura and Mary Ingalls captured my imagination and my heart. So much so that I hoped to one day have my own little Laura (which I do).

I never imagined that I would ever, ever, ever get to visit the places that Laura lived in. In fact, I really didn't know that you could. I don't know what I thought. Once I discovered that these places were real and that there was stuff to see, I have always wanted to visit, but when you live in Fiji and New Zealand, it is hard to imagine it ever coming true. Well, today it did!!

I stood in the very places where Laura went to school, where she weathered their first winter in De Smet, I saw the trees Pa planted around their claim shanty, I saw the view that greeted Laura everytime she walked into town to work or school, I saw Loftus' store, the church and the cemetary where Pa, Ma, Mary, Carrie & Grace are buried. It was surreal and marvellous. A dream came true today!!!


After we spent four hours looking around, we headed on our mammoth five and half our drive across South Dakota. For the most part we were on highways which took us through the heart of wheat country. There were fields of wheat for miles and miles. It was GORGEOUS!! We saw combine harvesters harvesting the wheat which was so mesmerizing. We enjoyed that.

It was a long day made longer by a fun stop in Wall, South Dakota which is home to Wall Drug, an unusual store/drugstore that takes up a whole city block. Historical and interesting. We had fun, but finally reached our destination in the Black Hills of South Dakota (Spearfish) and now we are ready to crash!!
edit

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Prosper, Texas, United States
I've been married for 32 years to the love of my life and we have two awesome adult kids and a fantastic son-in-law. Big new adventure moving to Texas from New Zealand in February 2021

Followers

© Design 1/2 a px. · 2015 · Pattern Template by Simzu · © Content Living Life with The Staveleys