Colour fills my soul!!!

| Jun 2, 2011
One thing I have come to know about myself is that I LOVE colour! Colour just makes my heart feel good and so reflective of the occasion, season or mood....BUT I live in a country that likes colour, but definitely not super bright or in all seasons, so my colour-personality has been tempered somewhat.

About 12 years ago I bought a hot pink outfit. It was a skirt and tailored top. I loved it!! My favourite colour and so expressive of who I was. I wore this outfit (well, the top half) to a student function and soon realised that I was the ONLY person wearing something colourful. The room was full of black, browns and navy. It was winter and it was New Zealand. My hubby later told me that he had very mixed feelings as I really stood out. Being a more retiring type, he didn't enjoy the attention. :) I never really wore that top again or the outfit as I felt self-conscious about being so bright.

A few years later I was in the USA which is the land of colour and bright clothing. I was excited because I knew that I could wear brighter colours and not stand out. One day at work I was wearing a bright aqua top. Another fave colour and top and a co-worker said "that's a bright top" and all my colour phobias came crashing down on me again. Darn!!

Well, in the years since those incidences, I have come to realise that I just love colour and it's ok. As long as I am not TOO out of fashion, then I will always be wearing the brighter pinks, aquas and reds. They make me feel good, they make me feel happy and  make me feel pretty.

I also love colour in my home and I love coordinating colours so that things go together well. Some friends of mine recently introduced me to Amy Atlas. She's an event planner in the US and I just love how she uses colour to show off desserts and to decorate. Here's her website. Go and have a look. It's super fun and kind of inspiring too.

Here's to colour and the joy it brings!!!
edit

2 comments:

CA said...

Hey Christy, I enjoyed this post a lot (and your others). The first time I met you was at a (or maybe THE) function where you wore a (or maybe THE) bright pink top in the sea of neutrals and yes, it did make you stand out but as well as really suiting you, it said 'confidence', and that's something that
is always in style and attractive! :)

Hannah said...

I hear ya. I've had a colour and style revolution myself after looking around a room and realising that 50% of the room was wearing jeans. The rest was black jeans or leggings. I think there were two people wearing skirts. And everyone wearing an array of unnoticable tops. I suddenly woke up to how restrained NZ fashion is.

So I've boycotted jeans for the meantime and expressing myself through colourful trousers and skirts. Some might call it hippie gear, but it's more a protest against boring clothing.

So I support you!

Newer Post Older Post

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Prosper, Texas, United States
I've been married for 32 years to the love of my life and we have two awesome adult kids and a fantastic son-in-law. Big new adventure moving to Texas from New Zealand in February 2021

Followers

© Design 1/2 a px. · 2015 · Pattern Template by Simzu · © Content Living Life with The Staveleys