Kiwis in Texas #1 - The Eagles Flee the Nest

| Feb 15, 2021

Thought I would restart my blog so I can keep people updated on life in Texas. Wanted to change the name, but nothing grabbed me - any suggestions?

Anyway, as I said this is going to be my place to fill in the people I know and love about what's going on in this new adventures we're on.

Deep breath.......here we go!

Sunday, February 7th started like any other day.......until it wasn't. Before I knew it my bed was stripped and starting its journey downstairs to become Michael's bed. I had done the majority of my packing so it was a fairly relaxing day. 5pm came and off we all went to the airport - so thankful that Laura and Zac were able to come up for the weekend to say goodbye. 

The first shock was how empty Auckland airport was - just the weirdest thing ever. The second shock was that none of the food places were open apart from one which was large enough for the bunch of friends who came out to say goodbye. Definitely felt very loved. We kept trying not to think about what was coming, but before we knew it, it was time to start the goodbyes. First, our super special friends and colleagues - gut wrenching goodbye. Tried to not fall apart too much (don't think I was very successful). Then the goodbyes kept coming. Finally we had a special time with just our family including my parents. The tears really started then. As we walked over to the departure gate I was just dreading the pain of parting from my kids - it was as awful as I thought it would be. I was a real mess as I kept saying "do we have to go?" Last hugs were done and then we walked away through the empty departure area with tears rolling down my face. I didn't stop crying until we go to the gate. Hardest thing I have had to do is leave my beautiful kids and family even though I know they are settled, happy, healthy and in a good place. 

Air New Zealand is just the best airline. I am so proud of their work in this annoying and awkward time. We had great seats and great service which did help a lot. Having said that as the plane left the ground of New Zealand, I sobbed, actually sobbed, not just tears. Finally, I pulled myself together and managed to get through the 12 hour flight while masked. Not fun, but we did it. 

The next hurdle to overcome was getting Bryce into America. We knew he had all the paperwork done, but you never know until you get there and stare the immigration official in the eyes. Fortunately that all went fine and he was in. The three year journey had ended at LAX. We had to trudge to the American Airlines check in, but that went ok too. Through security - not much social distancing there and Bryce had is Swiss Army knife taken off of him there. NZ let it through, but not LA. The three hour flight to Dallas felt longer than the NZ flight - it was so crowded and hot. Ugh!! American Airlines is not my favourite to say the least.

We landed in Dallas at 9:30pm and our Texas adventure began!

Chris, our boss and friend, was at the airport to pick us up which was great and we began the drive to our new home in Prosper. It was exciting and scary at the same time. What if I hated the house? 

Fortunately, I didn't!!

We looked around and then made the bed and hit the hay. The shower was amazing after 24 hours of travelling. It felt pretty surreal to be in Texas, but exciting too.

Till next time!

edit

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Prosper, Texas, United States
I've been married for 32 years to the love of my life and we have two awesome adult kids and a fantastic son-in-law. Big new adventure moving to Texas from New Zealand in February 2021

Followers

© Design 1/2 a px. · 2015 · Pattern Template by Simzu · © Content Living Life with The Staveleys